Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default making a photography darkroom

On 29/09/2015 12:27, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 18:48:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 28/09/2015 17:03, whisky-dave wrote:

Do the optics of lenses behave differently?

No that I know of.

They behave differently as film has a different response to off
axis images than a digital sensor does.

As far as I know the light traveling through lenes behaves the same
irrespective of whether the camera has a film or sensor in it.

I didn't mention the lens.

Does the reciprocity law (halve shutter speed so double
aperture etc) behave differently?

Yes significantly.

they are the same.

wrong.

How do they differ

It only matters in extreme cases.

so they aren't the same then are they.

They are for 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% of pictures.
If you are taking those 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001% you
will know how to do it and be using digital anyway.

you need to correct the exposure using characteristics that
change from one make of film to another;

yuo don;t get that with digital, you don't even have to think
about it.

You can change how the sensor responds and what is recorded so you
do need to think about it.

yuo can't change how a sensor responds. It is an electronic device
which has charastretics which the user can NOT change.

Of course you can, bining, iso, etc.

So when studying photogrphy like my friend was who won a pjhopt
comp in spain. She works at a uni teaching photography and is an
adobe registered certified to teach.

???

teaching photography is differnt to getting someone to take the same
snapshot as you can.

Yes its understanding how to compose and use your equipment.
It isn't restricted to old fashioned film.
You can teach it on a phone if its the right phone.

You might be making life more difficult for him if you make
him avoid using P or Av/Tv mode, but it will make it easier to
learn initially.

They have to know what those terms mean and why you use them.

That is what you are teaching isn't it?

Yes, and you DON'T even need a camera to teach that.

You give a kid a digital camera that is **** compared to their
mobile phone they get board unintrested and disruptive. Now you
have 20 kids around you not concentrating they'd rather use their
phone to get a far better picture than they could ever get with
the digital camera you've supplied.

So what are you trying to teach them if its not how to get a
better picture, it sounds like you have given them cr@p and expect
them to use it. I take it your film camera of choice is a box
brownie.

No, but you wouldn't give them a smart phone, even though most
people could get better pictures with it.

A smart phone could well be a good choice, if it has manual controls.
You could write an app and do online teaching.

Why does the image on my LCD look the same irrespected
of the aperature and shutter speed I set.

Because you have a cr@p camera

wrong answer .

So what's your answer? Is it that the image on an LCD screen
(either when used as a viewfinder or when examining the
pictures after taking) is too small to be able to distinguish
clearly between in-focus and out-of focus parts of the scene?

No because when you look at the screen you see what you might end
up with.

That is what you use a viewfinder for to see what you may get.

exactly what you may get.

No film camera shows exactly what you get, they don't do 100% views to
start with.

you are going to take a p[icture of usain bolt in teh 100 meters
on the left is the start on the right is the finish. Are yuo
saying they'll be no differnce whether the exposure is 1/1000 or
1 second. the aperature will take care of itself, but will what
you see on the screen be the same as the images yuo take. NO.

That is true of the viewfinder on your camera and is no different
to a digital camera., especially an SLR.

No it's not. A LCD well most DLSR or digital camera LCDs change
brightness depending on your setting or AP and Tv so you can still
see teh display and the brightness of teh dispalay will change
depending on you;'r settings. This is NOT true of a film SLR.

Of course it is true of all digital SLRs, they have the same optics as
film SLRs. The display is an extra that you can use on some digitals as
not all have live view.

So far you haven't pointed out any difference between learning on
a digital and a film camera other than the ability to view the
results.

So far you have proved you know noting about teaching.

I am pretty sure you are barking up the wrong tree teaching using film.
You should teach the basics using a digital camera and then explain the
differences with film if anyone actually wants to use it.