Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making a photography darkroom

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 12:22:48 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 29/09/2015 12:05, whisky-dave wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I can't work out whether he really doesn't
know or is winding us all up. Film and digital cameras have
more in common that maybe he realises.

They sure do, but there are some important differncies.

You still haven't said what they are, I don't think you know.

if you don't know I'm not listing them for you. We are also talking
about qwhich is best for teaching photography. Teaching photography
adn gettiogn a good picture aren't the same.

There are no differences,

I can tell the differnce you can't.

No I've vere said that. are you sugeswstin we don;t need a light
meter because we have a digital camera ?.

Well its obvious that you can get the exposure by trial and error.

with a DIGITAL cameras can be acheived by just loking at the LCD.
Now tell me how you can do this with a film camera looking through the viewfinder.

THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

this can be achived and
that you can do that trial and error there and then with a decent
digital camera. you will claim that that's too easy which i will ignore.

Of course you'll ignore it, because it proves you're wrong.
Try adjusing the aperature and the exposure time on a SLR film camera and see if teh viwfinder image changes in any way.
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

You can select the 'speed' aka ISO of the 'sensor' either increase it or decrease it for any frame or picture.

Now coem on tell me how you do this with film in the camera what button do you use to increase/decrease the films speed.
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE .

With a DIGITAL camera you can increase/decrease Ap Tv and ISO.
With a film camera you CAN NOT change the ISO unless you change film
or change the way you process it AFTER taking the picture.
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

which means with film you have to THINK before you even put the film in the camera, you don;t have the same thoughts choosing a memory card do you.
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

With film you have to decide whether or not you're taking colour or monochrome,
or transparancies, although colour film can be converted to monochrome it's a bit wasteful. No sucvh thing with digital cameras is theres.
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

cause the f..king sun goes in or it gets dark or night approaches.
you know brightness changes throught they day. Your LCD and eyes
react to changing light levels differntly and to colur differntly.

Your eyes do, the camera doesn't.

yes it does compared to your eyes.
have you never heard of tungsten film ?
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

can yuo tell me what AWB is and what other options there
are on a typical digital camera can you show me these option for film ?
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

You can see what the changes mean on a digital camera after you take a
picture you can only guess with film until you have it processed.

THIS IS A DIFFERENCE

Having
such a long delay doesn't aid teaching so digital is best there too.

No it doesn't as few even notice. A friend of mine spent quite a time in a musuem takign videos all with a yellow orange cast he thought there's was something wrong with his camera, of course he didn;t realise this until he got home.
Me I knew immediatly what the problem was because I know about film and digital and the differencies between them. I'd have set the white balance before I started recording. He thought the scene looked OK no colour cast and digital cameras arn;t effected by such things as colour temerature of teh light source.
THIS IS A DIFFERENCE.

the same as on a film camera or are you proposing that only manual
lenses are allowed.

if you want to learn about lenses use a manual lens, just like you
would a car.

A manual lens and an auto iris lens produce the same images.

my lenes from my film cameras have aprature rings I can turn to stop down the lens. They also have a DOF scale and an IR mark, even a distance scale on some.

Only
preview and metering differ and they differ the same for film and digital..

I've never seen image stablisation on a lens designed for film cameras.