Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default More on VW Cheatware

News wrote
Fredxxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And yet none of the other German manufacturers
have had anything like the effect on their share price.

Perhaps you interpreted what I meant incorrectly,
unlike VW, other German cars had the same emissions
in road tests as they did in formal testing.

This is the point I worry about. Is it really realistic to assume
that VW engineered diesel engines are so much worse that
any others that they require cheating to pass standard tests?

Its more than VW chose to sell their diesel cars to
the most stringent market. Others didn't bother.

Another point. All major manufacturers purchase vehicles made
by their competitors and strip them to the last not and bolt.

Not necessarily with all some subsets of the market like with diesels tho.

You can bet that if one manufacturer found cheating
by another, they would shout it from the rooftops

Or they had no diesel TDI cars of their own so didn't test VW's.

- unless they're all doing the same thing, to a greater or lesser extent.

There aren't all that many with small diesel TDI cars.