Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Attery Chargers/Starters

On 9/28/2015 6:52 PM, wrote:

A neighbor swore by one of these! I've not looked into them in
detail -- and suspect a lot depends on the state of charge in the
battery in question.

Most of the times that I've needed to jump a vehicle I discovered
a dead alternator (which led to the battery's demise) *or* loose
cables at the battery (big IR drop there, poor charging, etc.)

Most for me have been bad batteries that finally gave out on a REALLY
cold day. - or someone left the door open, or the headlights on, or
the trunk open - and drained the battery dead.

Here, we lose batteries to the heat. If car doesn't start -- or, starts
to act sluggish when turning over -- check the date on the battery
case and drive directly to the store for free replacement under warranty.

Previous Monte Carlo would eat diode bridges in alternator pretty
regularly. Cheap fix -- except for the time to pull it off the
engine