Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attery Chargers/Starters

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:22:39 -0700, "tony944" wrote:

"Walter E." wrote in message ...

I am considering a Harbor Freight battery charger on sale for $ 29. The
specs show 10 A charging current, 2 A trickle charging and 50 A emergency
car starting.

Will 50 Amps start modern cars? I thought it was higher than that.

-- Walter

NO it will not start you car 50 A. it is similar to 10 just that is not
regulated
and not filtered to be good DC. 50 A. will speed up charging, suggestion not
to use longer then 15 minutes at time or less.

If the battery has ANY power left in it, the 50 amp setting WILL
start most cars. If the battery is stone dead, it won't. Never leave
the charger on the 50 amp setting for more than a min ute or two.
Proper procedure is to use the 50 amp ONLY when cranking so you don't
get excessive voltage to your electronics - if, for instance, you have
an intermittent open circuit in the battery, or a bad battery cable to
battery connection.