Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can a light fixture mounting plate be the support for theelectrical box?

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 3:17:39 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 11:13:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

We have not reached that decision point yet. That is why my post was not a
"How I do I mount an electrical box for a light" question. My question was
(and still is) is whether or not the original installation method was
acceptable.

Have asked your / the local building code/permit office?

If it's not, I have no problem coming up with a way to secure the box to
the wall and then the plate to the box. However, there is no need for me
even to think about that if the original method is OK.

Sounds like you have a solution and not an answer.
--

Right, but I really, really wanted an answer. ;-) It would be a good thing
to know going forward.

I'll accept grfe's answer that it's an acceptable method.