Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default LED bulbs

The 4-foot ceiling mounted flourescent light above the kitchen sink
would stop coming on reliably for a few months. I would leave the
switch on and eventually it would come on some time later. I had
changed the F40 tube before so thought perhaps it might be the ballast
instead. Went to Lowes and bought a replacement LED 4-foot light for
$35 minus coupons and replaced it this weekend.

The first thing I noticed was the old fixture's ballast was too hot to
the touch after turning it off. Not sure if that is normal, but I
didn't like the idea of it burning up and causing a fire. The next
thing I noticed is how much brighter the LED light is compared to the
old one. It is supposed to be equivalent to the old one but seems much
brighter. I also bought an LED 40 watt equivalent bulb for my desk
lamp and that one seems the same as the old one.