Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 2:06:00 AM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 09:00:50 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| | The stockholders are also innocent. Why would you punish them? The
| | "market" is already punishing them anyway.
|
| The stockholders are the ones who stand to win
| or lose. It's their responsibility financially. And in
| this case, a controlling interest is owned by two
| families that are said to hold a tight rein. It's not
| punishing the stockholders. It's holding the
| corporation responsible.
|

| None of those people had a damn thing to do with this malfeasance. Why
| would you punish them AND all the direct and indirect employees who
| make their living thru VW? It's like shooting yourself in the foot
| and doing it on purpose. Punish the wrongdoers not the innocent.

You haven't fully read the foregoing sub-thread.
That's not what's being talked about.

What do you think the corporation is? If VW is
fined $10 billion that comes out of the stockholders.

I will say it again... the STOCKHOLDERS did not do anything wrong. Why
do you want a penalty that punishes people who did nothing wrong? The
stockholders, with extremely rare exception, are not in a position to
know what the engineers and middle managers are conspiring to do yet
you want to punish them. Punish the people who are RESPONSIBLE for
the wrongdoing.

If someone in your family screws up do you think their brothers and
sisters should do jail time too because "they are part of the family"?
Or perhaps you think their aunts and uncles should be locked up?

+1

Seems part of the thinking is that according to M, two families own a
majority of VW stock and they deserve to be punished. I don't believe
it's true, nothing I see substantiates anything close to that. But even
if it is true, it would be like punishing Timothy McVeigh's brothers
and sisters for his crime, when there is no evidence at all they were
involved.