Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Garage Door Transmitters - Givaways

On 9/28/2015 5:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 4:03:06 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

One thing you'll have to watch is the mechanical system tends to be
underdamped. The "impulse" that it experiences when starting can often
lead to the opener triggering a fault and stopping travel ("Oh! I may
have just crushed a little child!"). You can usually compensate for this
with an "overload" adjustment on the opener.

Temperature can also be a factor. I typically have to increase the up force
on my older Craftsman GDO when winter arrives. If I don't, it will start to
open then stop.

Bad rollers (they can be easily replaced), loose hinges and other hardware
also play a roll. It pays to "watch" the mechanism and see how much it
"dances around" -- esp as it tries to get started. If it's moving one way
(due to an undamped oscillation) and opener wants it moving the *other*,
it looks like a jam/overload.

You might say it's too early to be worrying about temperature issues, but I
just spent the weekend in Western Massachusetts. It was 33° F on Sunday
morning.

I think 102 forecast, here... presently 72 at ~5AM