Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Garage Door Transmitters - Givaways

On 9/27/2015 12:44 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I just got through installing two new Sears Craftsman garage door openers to
replace the Craftsman openers I installed 30 years ago and were performing
intermittently, stopping or reversing when there were no apparent overloads to
the doors travel.

See below.

So, I sprung for two new Craftsman openers and they work slicker than snot on a
brass doorknob.

Amazing to try to *remember* what is was like to LIFT a garage door by
hand, eh? : Sort of like GETTING UP to change the channel on the TV! :-/

It was interesting to note how much lighter the main rail and traveling
components have become over that time, but they look like they'll probably hold
up for the rest of my years.

One thing you'll have to watch is the mechanical system tends to be
underdamped. The "impulse" that it experiences when starting can
often lead to the opener triggering a fault and stopping travel
("Oh! I may have just crushed a little child!"). You can usually
compensate for this with an "overload" adjustment on the opener.

[Just something to keep in mind if you find the opener stopping
unexpectedly.]

Anyway, the point is that I'm left with four working garage door transmitters viz:

One Craftsman 139.53708 One Button Control
One Craftsman 139.53718 Three Button Control
Two Chamberlin Liftsmaster 61LM One button controls

That I'll never need.

These are all the earlier style transmitters with dip switches inside to set
the code.

Fixed code systems should be avoided. Far too easy for someone to
"harvest" your code and, thereafter, have unimpeded access to your
garage. *With* that, in many cases, you also gain entry to the
house interior -- as folks (IME) tend NOT to lock the interior door
from garage to house.