Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default HP 3561A

On 09/27/2015 8:58 AM, wrote:
Thanks, that might come in handy.

Looks like I have to RTFM even with what I got. This thing shut down with a slip of the probe and now appears to need to be reset. There doesn't seem to be any bad components but there is no drive to the power supply choppers.. I am going to make surer of that later today I think. It is difficult to access anything to test so I'll do hat I usually do - stick a wire on it and slide the card back in.

The way this thing is put together I can't even find the main transformer ! I pretty much know where it is but can't see hide nor hair of it.

This is another one where I look at how it is built and go "Why ?". They got the choppers on a standup car, the transformer on the motherboard and the rectifiers on another standup card. The logical assumption is they intended for service to be able to be performed on a modular level. All fine and good, but a part of me goes "Are you kidding ?".

I can't bitch. I couldn't design the thing at all. But I can go "Huh ?".

Anyway, thanks. And if you catch wind of any "reset" routine for HP stuff let me know. I am going to triple check that there are no blown components, like fuzibes n ****.

With everything on sub-boards the first suspects are the card edge
connectors. Take a close look at the sockets to see if the plastic is
breaking down and the body of the edge connector socket is spreading out
at the middle.

Of course clean the PCB edge connectors, etc...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com