Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/26/2015 8:47 PM, rbowman wrote:

There certainly isn't a magical answer. My mother traded a full sized Dodge for
a Gold Duster. It was a nice ride but it had me puzzled since she had always
insisted the family bucket had four doors. Her rationale was if she bought
something with four doors she would be the duty driver every time her old
girlfriends wanted to go someplace but none of the old biddies were up to
climbing in and out of the backseat of the Duster.

We did a similar calculus with our recent purchase. SWMBO originally
liked a larger vehicle. But, it didn't take long to realize her friends
would be cheerfully suggesting *she* drive to most of the places that
they frequent, weekly.

Ignoring the cost of fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle, etc. she had
no desire to be worrying about *their* timetables as if a chauffeur:
"I have a doctor's appointment at 12:15 so we'll have to leave early?"
"Why don't we all go out for lunch?"
"Can you pick me up a AFTER Mary next week (instead of BEFORE)? I
have some errands to run in the early morning..."
"Why don't we listen to WXXX today?"
Plus, the obligation imposes requirments on her (SWMBO) attendance!
She can't just decide at the last minute to "stay home"!