Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter E.[_2_] Walter E.[_2_] is offline

Default Efflorescence in my garage

My three car garage has several unsightly areas where efflorescence is
blooming out of the concrete floor. I have power-washed the whole floor but
that only increased the efflorescence after the water dried. The
efflorescence is particular bad after I bring a car in from the rain and the
rain water dribbles on the floor.

I know that this problem is only cosmetic but a prospective buyer might be
concerned. I also understand that painting the floor or covering it with
epoxy is counter productive because it will only spall and will therefore be
more unsightly than the efflorescence.

Can I cover the concrete with a material that does not try to bond with the
concrete? Something that can be laid on the top of the concrete? Ceramic
tiles? Is thin-set impervious to efflorescence? Vinyl tiles?

Would appreciate any suggestions? Thank you

Walter

--

www.rationality.net