Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Possible reason the A-10 is being dropped

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:54:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I saw that too, but the picture resolution was not sufficient to see
what they were hitting.

This weapon is intended to devastate a mass of tanks attacking, so
think of it as a hi-tech kind of grapeshot, one that works on targets
well beyond line of sight. They probably don't care that not all the
grapeshot hits something, so long as the attack is broken, or the
staging area well behind the front is devastated.

To have been impressed by that video, I would have needed to see about
4x the kills they got from the ordnance. Seeing only one effect on
any of the ground vehicles/targets per instance left me flat. Nothing
was blown off any tank or target, no targets fell over, etc. Just the
one explosion per. I'll bet the designers were underwhelmed, too.

The armchair generals (and other politicians) probably loved the sound
and fury of it all.

Cluster bombs in general...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xiasPejyt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmfbOwRreU