Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 08:46:37 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 10:00:05 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
And once again, since you keep posting this, being a lib, are you
OK with screwing the hundreds of thousands, probably millions of
employees that had nothing to do with the cheating?

Exactly!

If we go after VW, by rights we have to prosecute the other Fortune
499.

If you're really worried about VW employees
then why not favor some kind of compensation
for their losses, paid by the shareholders and
executives? The line workers are almost certain
to lose either way. Why should the public foot
that bill? Trader_4 isn't worried about the
employees. I don't believe you could care less
about them, either.

Say what? I'm not worried about the employees?
Where did that come from? It was
Bob H that came up with the suggestion for draconian measures,
eg ban VW from selling cars for 5 years. I immediately
raised the issue of what that would do the employees,
dealerships, the resulting job losses at VW, their suppliers,
unemployment benefit that would have to be paid, etc.
The cure would be totally out of proportion to the crime.

Corporations are a legal creation by governments that allow certain legal
protections, and at least origionally, were expected to benefit the community in
exchange for that protection.

I suppose that since the VW corporate mangement did not care to be good
corporate citizens, and did not care enough about their own employees to run a
responsible legal business, their legal protections of incorporation could be
cancelled, and the business nationalized. That might discourage other companies
from such actions. The only ones hurt would be the management and stockholders,
and they might start to look at how the businesses they invest in do business.

The stockholders are also innocent. Why would you punish them? The
"market" is already punishing them anyway.