Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 09:59:56 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| And once again, since you keep posting this, being a lib, are you OK
| with screwing the hundreds of thousands, probably millions of employees
| that had nothing to do with the cheating?

| Exactly!
|
| If we go after VW, by rights we have to prosecute the other Fortune 499.

If you're really worried about VW employees
then why not favor some kind of compensation
for their losses, paid by the shareholders and
executives? The line workers are almost certain
to lose either way. Why should the public foot
that bill? Trader_4 isn't worried about the
employees. I don't believe you could care less
about them, either.

Do you just hate all regulations and think society
should work like a game of King of the Hill? Whoever
dies with the most toys wins?

The one thing I know for sure about your thinking
is that you don't own a VW diesel car that you're
hoping to resell anytime soon.

There is no reason to create a "bill" to "foot" in the first place.
That damage is DONE and teh vehicles need to be Fixed. Causing
excessive financial penalties over that will just punish the innocent.
The appropriate penalties are CRIMINAL penalties for the actual people
in engineering and management who wrote and approved this software
deception. From all I've read, this is not simply "oops, I forgot to
turn off that bit of debugging code" but involved quite a bit of
purposeful code writing to enable the computer to figure out when it
was in many different "emissions test mode" status's. It is
inconceivable only one or two people were involved and I would have to
think several more would have noticed something fishy but were told to
shut up. It is conceivable only engineering types and middle
management were the culprits.