Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/25/2015 11:39 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I always thought the Corvair was a neat little car but I've never driven one and don't recall if I've even been a passenger in one. I find it hard to believe that a Camaro Z28 would cut into sales of a base Corvair. Everything I've ever seen or read seems to blame Ralph Nader's book for sullying the reputation of the Corvair but other sources I just read blame the Ford Mustang and GM's response to it by coming up with the Camaro. GM stopped promoting the Corvair which already had slow sales because of the bad reputation it had garnered and GM let it quietly die. So the Camaro did have a lot to do with the demise of the little rear engined car. From what I read, another problem was that the Corvair didn't share many parts with other GM cars. This made it more expensive to produce. The Camaro on the other hand could be easily modified with all kinds of parts from other GM vehicles. I wonder what would have happened if GM hadn't abandoned the little car? We'll never know. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Car Monster

I had a '62 Corvair Monza. Even had an AM/FM radio. It was a good car
in most respects, great in snow, comfortable in the front bucket seats.
Had a few quirk, but it was fun to drive and handled well.

I also survived with only a head cut being broadsided by a
tractor=trailer. Car did not survive though.