Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_] rbowman[_2_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 09/25/2015 08:23 AM, Don Y wrote:
The cars named in the recent disclosure are sure to take a hit -- in the
short term and possibly even longer. A lot will depend on the sort of
fix that VW puts forward and how it affects the perceived value of those
vehicles. My hunch is that any *cheap* fix (e.g., a software upgrade)
will result in a vehicle's performance falling below what their owners
(and prospective resale owners) would be happy with.

My impression is the problem is with the diesels, with about 450,000 in
the US. I can't find a breakdown but I don't think they've sold that
many New Beetles so I assume the bulk of the TDIs are in Jettas followed
by Golfs.

Europe is where it will get ugly.