Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default TV Freeview picture breaking up, New 4G transmitter and Aeroplanes

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , john west
scribeth thus

Many thanks to all. I followed the suggestion to recheck the Aerial
lead connection going into the Humax digi-box after remembering the
visiting at800 engineer pulled it apart and seemed to re-assemble it a
bit too quickly for my liking.

After re-doing this connection very carefully it now seems things are a
bit better this morning. (Although mild weather and clear skies might be
connected?).

Is it possible that the 4G phone companies although giving us a ' new
filter' might be degrading our freeview reception in ways they are not
very willing to talk about?

Our post code is NW7 1NE and the Bigger Aeroplanes which are at a higher
altitude and pass between our house and the Crystal Palace Transmitter
are now *not* breaking up our freeview reception as before.

But the smaller millionaire type planes like the 'Lear Jets' which are
traveling at a lower altitude and which are traveling from east to west
quite close to our house (presumably going to Heathrow and are at a
lower altitude than the big planes) are *still* breaking up our
reception for a few seconds 'every-time' one passes over.

Given that the much of the consensus in this group seems to be saying
this kind of plane interference is very unlikely, should i have myself
and my whole family enter the local Whittington Psychiatric Unit.....

Seriously though we are not imagining this, grateful for any further
thoughts. Thanks.

I would have thought that from where you are Heathrow operations would
have had no effect whatsoever. You might be under a flight path which
might just upset the whole shooting match to elstree or northolt but
consider where you are there would-be a lot of others experiencing the
same effects ?

I think there something really odd going on there I wonder if there
might be some odd effect from aircraft radio somehow or similar. Have
you tried asking the neighbours what their reception is like and if
they get the same as you?.

I would have thought you're on the Crystal place TX there wonder if you
might be using for some odd obscure reason an alternative TX according
the some TX sites you should be using the Finchley relay perhaps you are
on something else somewhere. Really needs someone there who knows what
their doing aerial wise that is and they are very far and few between!.

Ask locally or post up a picture of your aerial on flicker that will
help.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=40

I'm slightly concerned by a statement in the original post: "I bought a new
aerial, but that hasn't helped". To me, there's an implication of an
indoor aerial. obviously just buying a new aerial would have no effect
whatsoever, but what was done with it? Did the OP get a ladder our and
replace the old aerial or do something much simpler?

--
Please note new email address: