Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/25/2015 7:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/25/2015 3:09 AM, Don Y wrote:

I have become even more obsessed with getting things done. Counting on
"tomorrow" is likely to be a disappointment. I've seen too many people
plan on doing what they *want*, "later" -- then discovering that they
can't (physical/mental/health problems -- or early death!). So, I
roll the dice and *hope*!

Enjoy today as tomorrow may not come.

Good philosophy. I'm still working but only 4 days a week. I took SS when I
turned 66 and I'm enjoying the extra money.

"Formal" retirement is still a long way for me. But, most of my friends
jokingly comment that I've been retired for decades -- in that I work on
(only!) what I *want* to work on and (only!) *when* I want to work on it!

Unfortunately (?), as I get older, there are even *more* things that I
want to "take on", learn, etc. But, the body and mind aren't as spry as
they used to be. Many of the technologies that I'm working with are
still barely "out of the lab" -- yet I'm trying to use them as if they
were "mature". Calls for lots of new learning (the technologies, the
tools, etc. -- in addition to the unconventional ways that I am trying
to "apply" them).

I'd hate, for example, to try to learn a new (speaking) language at
this point in my life! (I'd also not consider it a "good investment"...
what's the payback??)

Traveled, remodeled two bathrooms,
go out to dinner at nice restaurants, anything that sounds good at the time.

We tend to be pretty frugal -- though not "tight as a frog's *ss". We
tend to make decisions based on reasoned arguments instead of "feel/desire".
So, tend to be happier with our decisions in the long run (I think much
of "buyer's remorse" comes from folks who fell into the trap of being
motivated by emotions in a decision; later, the emotions fade and your
subconscious starts looking at the RATIONAL basis of the decision -- and
finds it "wanting"! : )

I'm not a fan of restaurants; most tend not to serve the things I'd
want to eat nor prepare them in the ways that I'd want. And, *all*
require far too much time for something as banal as "a meal" (some
folks live to eat; others -- me -- eat to live).

I did a lot of traveling when I was young. So, most *domestic*
traveling is "ho hum, been there, done that". International
travel requires too much time. The only things I would like to
see "up close" (i.e., not "on a DVD" : ) would be the pyramids
and Great Wall. But, I'd want to *climb* the pyramids and *walk*
the (length of the) Great Wall. Both are obviously not going to
be permitted.

Snowing? OK, I'm not going to work. Friday? I'm leaving early. I'm at work
right now and I'll be gone in 45 minutes.

I actually was unhappy about leaving "snow" behind (currently southwest).
While not a morning person, I used to delight in waking up on days when
snow was predicted and stare out the front picture window watching everyone
struggle with the snow (cars, pedestrians, etc.). Then, as soon as the
morning rush was over, I'd go back to bed: "I'll plow the driveway
later -- at a more *sensible* time to get out of bed!"

OTOH, working for myself means there *is* no Friday. (the consolation
is that there is no Monday, either! : ) And, being highly interested
in what I'm doing, it's far too easy to work non-stop when I get
obsessed with a particular aspect of a problem.

SWMBO is a valuable diversion -- all the HoneyDo's! E.g., I spent a couple
of hours last night framing two of her paintings instead of spending
all that time doing research. Today I'll fix a friend's genset -- another
"distraction".

My wife has some health restrictions now but we do what we can and will as long
as we can.

That's my fear -- what sort of "things" will life throw my way that conflict
with my goals? There's very little you can do (for many things) to steer
future events (health related) in a particular direction, if your body and
history predispose you to a different outcome.

I see too many people "using" ailments to limit their activities, goals, etc.
Granted, for some (and to some extent) these may be genuine limitations.
OTOH, I think others just "cop-out" because they are quitters or want an
excuse to NOT do what's required to rise above their limitations.

[It's scary to listen to "old folks" -- all they (most) talk about is their
ailments, doctor appointments, etc. "Wow, why do you get out of bed in
the morning if your life is THAT boring or challenging??"]

Hopefully, you'll be able to find ways to *keep* doing what you (both) enjoy;
finding ways to work *around* your wife's current (and your *future*?)
health issues. Silly to work "all those years" and not be able to have
something to enjoy as a "reward"!