Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Possible reason the A-10 is being dropped

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:40:25 -0500, Ignoramus32266

On 2015-09-25, Randy333 wrote:
ICBM's are rather fragile things and I think a laser could do some
damage. An A-10 is a tank buster, what can a laser do to 10" plus of
armor plate?

500LB laser guided bombs might be the replacemnet for an A-10. They
did use these in the gulf war for killing tanks.

I thought that lasers only operate at a small radius, under a few
miles.

It takes an ICBM a few seconds to fly that distance.

Lasers are nowhere near capable of taking out an ICBM today, or a
tank. Maybe in the future. For now, as Randy says, it's the new
super-smart bombs that are the tank killers.

Sensor-Fuzed Weapons, how to break a massed tank assault. This from
Textron.

..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkauuIyDsM

Joe Gwinn