Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/24/2015 6:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2015 6:31 PM, Frank wrote:

I have it on good authority that my Subaru dealer makes more money off
of selling used Subaru's than he does new ones.

I also get new at under invoice.

I've heard that from a couple of local dealers. They like selling used.

The big win for the dealer on "new" is that they are more likely
to CONTINUE to encounter those customers in their service departments!

Last used car I bought was in the 1980's. I never found them to be a good
value with the miles I dreive.

My attitude wrt used has always been: I've *got* a used car. I know
exactly how it has been driven, maintained, likely expectations of
future reliability and costs, etc. Why should I swap this for some
OTHER car whose background is a complete mystery?

When we replaced our 13 yo vehicle, recently, we had several friends
willing to buy the old one from us. But, avoided that option: no
desire to have them "revisiting the well" some time down the road
when something went wrong and they magically felt *we* should
be responsible for it...