Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making a photography darkroom

On Thursday, 24 September 2015 17:35:38 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

yes but teaching it isn't In the same way when I went on a course
30 years ago we were given manual cameras for a good reason.
we could have got good pictures just by setting my A1 to P mode
No one would have had to learn what an aperature was or what shutter
speed or ASA or ISO was, I wouldn't need to know what DoF was or what a
correct exposure was, but as we were meant to learn photography rather
than how to take photos those sort of things are important even today.

Some can get good images without even using a camera.

Even if you want to learn the basics a digital camera is going to be
better, you can try what you are learning and see if it works, without
waiting a day or two to see.

Any fool can fly a plane just select auto pilot, many more can fly
all sorts of planes and rockets on a computer but does that make them
pilots.

Ah, you've moved the goalposts a bit. You were saying that it's better to
learn using film than digital (which I disagree with).

From the teachiong point of view it is better to use film than digital because there's less distractions, you can concentrate on ONE aspect at a time.

Now you're saying
it's better to learn on a manual camera (or at least an automatic one with
the manual features capable of being turned off for learning purposes).

Yes.

Any
I fully agree with that one. My philosophy is that just about any gadget
that has automatic modes should have a way of turning those off for the
times when they get it wrong - or when turning them on would hinder
learning.

you don't need autofocus and 10 fps bursts or know about diffraction limiting
on sensors to leanr photogrpahy which is the 'art' of using light NOT paint..

But that's a different subject to whether film is better than
digital for learning on: a manual-capable digital camera is more use for
learning that an auto-only film camera.

there are few auto only flim camera in existance today, there's plenty of auot only 'cameras' around today and most peole have them min their phones, using such a device is NOT the best way to learn photography. Photography and gettign a selfie IS NOT the same. This is why peolpe still employer photographers at wedding rather that rely on friends and family to take 'good' picutes with their phone.