Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default How the disabled are ripped off

On 24/09/2015 22:47, Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

Flightsafe device: £30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about £1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bo Disability shops: £18.
Various other places: about £10.

Various scooter keys:
Shoprider on/off switch £10. This is standard plastic body toggle
switch: £1 from CPC etc.
Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out
internally, as a key. These are sold for £5 to £12 in disability shops.
Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn
them out at £5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are
likely to be £12 to £15.

The rip off starts with the cost of the scooters.

It is the old rule of caveat emptor, translated let the buyer beware.
Shopping around is the first rule for any purchase these days. For
example I recently bought a GO-GO Elite scooter for £485 delivered. Two
local disabled equipment shops wanted more than £1,600. A total scandal
that I am amazed no TV company has investigated or perhaps I blinked.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid