Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/24/2015 11:47 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
shrug I tend to consider sleeping and eating as colossal wastes of time
(can't do anything "productive" concurrently with either of those).

Likewise, I drag about eating and sleeping. In overseas days I worked
12 hour shift without week ends. Longest hour I was working on a problem
was 72 hours drinking nothing but coffee. Any way I finished what I was
doing(trouble-shooting downed mainframe with magnetic core memory problem)

One of my earliest jobs was doing field service work. Being away from
home was a real drag -- nothing to do, no one to talk to, etc. So,
I would typically go from airport straight to customer site, work
until machine was operational (which clients liked because that typically
meant most of my time there was after hours -- not under their feet and
they got back up and running with minimal impact on *their* work schedule!).
Then, check in at hotel/motel, take a shower, change clothes and head back
to airport.

Employer recognized we weren't working 8 hour shifts. Getting the job done
in a day or two saved on meals, lodging, etc. So, you'd spend a day on
the road... and take the rest of the week off with pay. Not sure who
got the better end of that deal! :

Thinking back that was not good thing for own health. Getting old, my priority
in life changed. I learnt to slow down and take things easy.

I have become even more obsessed with getting things done. Counting on
"tomorrow" is likely to be a disappointment. I've seen too many people
plan on doing what they *want*, "later" -- then discovering that they
can't (physical/mental/health problems -- or early death!). So, I
roll the dice and *hope*!

Enjoy today as tomorrow may not come.

But I still complete daily planned schedule and then some more.Doing
support work for field engineers I was quite independent, no one hardly ever
bothered me. That was good. I hope I'll be around when
g-son goes to college. He just started grade 1. 75+18=93 maybe, maybe not.

I'm not as worried about dying as I am about not being able to work
towards my goals due to infirmities, disabilities, etc. "Being dead"
sort of sidesteps that whole issue :-/