Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default off topic: new car advice for senior

On 9/24/2015 2:07 PM, Harry K wrote:

As others have said, for seniors, ease of getting in and out is one of the
top things. An overlooked option for that is the Ford Taurus. I sits
higher than most cars, lower than an SUV. I am 80 and wife was disabled
(died last year), both of use could get in/out of the Ford 500 (now Taurus
again) without problems. Difference between 'crawling down into" (modern
cars) and just turning and sitting down.

Note that you can also end up with a car that is too *high*! You
don't want to have to climb *up* into a car -- nor risk *falling*
trying to get out of it!

Remember that your posture also changes as you age. You don't
stand as tall, etc. so what was comfortable at one age can
seem "a stretch" as you get older (and your back, hips, etc.
start to complain when you try to make full use of them).

I'm surprised at the number of folks who have problems carrying
even small (1 & 2 lb) weights (muscle atrophy). Reaching into
a back seat to retrieve an item can become challenging with age.
Another pair of doors is sometimes worthwhile!

If you "grunt" (even subvocally) when getting in or out of your
vehicle, reaching for some item (groceries), etc. then something
needs to change! :