Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default making a photography darkroom

On 24/09/2015 16:17, whisky-dave wrote:

My company paid for a professional photographer to do some
pictures, after he had done it I took some pictures of my own.
Guess which ones worked and which were taken with a digital SLR.

No idea because it shouldn't matter. We had the same thing here we
paid a pro to come and take our pictures but the college wouldn't use
them for the website. We wanted our pictures to be intresting and
relivant they wanted passport style.

any brain dead moran can take a picture nowadays, but
professonal photographers are still employed.

And most of them don't use film for a good reason, digital is now
better than film in just about everything.

Yes I agree but that isn't the point, the point is which is best for
teaching photography and most peole that teach it seem to prefer
film.

The best for teaching photography is a camera and digital gives you the
results when you need to see the results.

If you want to teach darkroom techniques then use film.

Photography is the art of taking pictures not printing them.

People who insist that it needs film to be a photographer are
living in the past. Photography is a wide subject and photography
with film is a very narrow bit of it.

yes but teaching it isn't In the same way when I went on a course 30
years ago we were given manual cameras for a good reason. we could
have got good pictures just by setting my A1 to P mode No one would
have had to learn what an aperature was or what shutter speed or ASA
or ISO was, I wouldn't need to know what DoF was or what a correct
exposure was, but as we were meant to learn photography rather than
how to take photos those sort of things are important even today.

Whats that got to do with film vs digital?
Digitals can be manual the same as film can be automatic.

Some can get good images without even using a camera.

Its not photography without a camera.
It is photography without film.

Even if you want to learn the basics a digital camera is going to
be better, you can try what you are learning and see if it works,
without waiting a day or two to see.

Any fool can fly a plane just select auto pilot, many more can fly
all sorts of planes and rockets on a computer but does that make them
pilots.

Yet again you are trying to make out that digital does it all for you.
This is plain wrong you may as well say film cameras do it all for you
if you buy one that only does auto.

If you think the ability to analyze the image on digital makes you a
worse photographer then you don't understand photography.