Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Looking For Oscillating Tool Recommendations

I have little use for one of these, as my remodeling days are long gone,
I thought. My wife forced me into gutting our bathroom and I borrowed
my buddies HF multi-tool to cut the door moldings to accommodate the new
ceramic tile floor. It was really loud, but worked fine. Later, I was
at HF to get some cheap batteries on sale, and they had the Multi-tool
on sale for a price I couldn't pass up. Anyway, I did actually use the
thing twice, and it worked fine, but, it was MUCH quieter than my
buddies. Not sure if it was because it was new, or not used much. My
buddy said he used his a lot, which I doubt.

If you seldom use it, I would get the HF. If you use it a lot, I'd
spend 10x's as much and get a decent one. If you make a living using
this on a daily basis, use your best judgement. I think they changed
the way the blades mount from the old ones, but I can't say for sure.
I was watching a contractor use one, not sure what brand, but it was
loud as hell, so don't count on any of them being too quiet.

I have 2 HF tools, this thing, which I rarely use, an air pin
nailer/staple gun which I also seldom use, but it works when I use it.
If it weren't for HF, I wouldn't own either of these tools, but they
almost give them away.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com