Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default DISH network tip.

On 9/24/2015 7:43 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 9/23/2015 11:16 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 9/23/2015 8:51 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've met "old timers" who were visibly envious of the excitement
I would express in my work. Or, the technologies that I was
exploring. They'd long since traded away that sense of adventure
for "job security"... and, now, were reduced to more mundane sorts
of work: the equivalent of ditch diggers. (very well paid ditch
diggers!)

Sounds like a 'thinking outside of the box' kind of mindset. Love it!

There are certain "types" that I characterize with this anecdote:
Ages ago, primitive man invented the wheel. It was SQUARE with
a small hole in the center for an axle on which it would rotate.
The conveyances that they created with these were, naturally,
"rough riding".

Over time, the wheels would wear and become rounded. At which
point, they would be promptly replaced with *new*, SQUARE WHEELS!

Makes you wonder about new products today that don't really work all
that great in the beginning.

The trend is to let the customer "debug" the product. Yet, many
products never actually reflect those "detected bugs" back into
their refinement. I.e., buy an early version, get the bugs
that came with it forever!

So called "rapid development", "incremental development", etc.
have replaced the traditional "waterfall" approach: specification,
implementation, test/verification.

One wonders if the same folks advocating this development style would
be happy if their DaVinci surgical robot was *deployed* with such
softwa "Have you installed TODAY's software updates yet? BEFORE
my scheduled surgery????"