The Natural Philosopher

Default Are open fireplaces considered desirable by the average house-buyer?

Neil wrote:

Definately go for a log fire. Just beware the council! You have to use
smokeless coal in most areas now, which I'm reliably informed only
burns half as hot and costs twice as much. We stick to wood mainly.
However, this create more tar inside the chimney so sweeping once a
year is a must (only about £25 a go).

Also, the way you light it is important. We completed buggered it up
the first few times and ended up with a living room full of smoke,
snow outside and the windows open. It does get a little messy with all
the ash and the smoke alarm is apt to sound even with a good draw.

But you can't beat it!

A plumbers blowlamp and dry wood - use up all those D-I-Y offcuts - is
the way to light a D-I-Y-ers log fire.

:_