Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
piglet piglet is offline

Default Tantalum Capacitors

On 23/09/2015 21:56, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 21:34:38 +0100, piglet
wrote:

On 23/09/2015 15:24, John Larkin wrote:
Most tantalum caps are solids, with the MnO2 electrolyte. Less common
are liquid types and polymers.

There is even solid aluminum, now only made by Vishay (I think) and cost
more than equivalent tantalum. The ones I use are resin dipped through
hole parts and look like a big resin dipped tantalum bead. Nice caps,
very low ESR and supposedly very reliable, claim "no-known wear-out
mechanism".

piglet

Do you mean polymer aluminums? Those are great, super low ESR. We use
United Chem-Com and Nichicon. 47 cents for 180 uF 6.3 volts, about 2x
tha price of a regular aluminum cap.

No, I don't think these are polymer, may even predate polymer
electrolyte. Uses Mn02 I think like solid Ta. See Vishay SAL 122 series.
Temp range -55 to +175 C.

piglet