Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
.[_26_] .[_26_] is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On 9/23/2015 9:00 AM, Steve W. wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/23/2015 12:56 AM, Bob F wrote:

Murder is illegal but people still do it.
But the possibilty of real prison time will make them think before
doing the crime.

But most criminals think they will never be caught so prison is little
deterrent.

We'll see what they think after a few hundred VW employees do some
serious prison time.

I bet white collar crime would be a lot more affected by serious
prosecutions than random murders. Maybe someday, we'll see it happen.
This is not just a US crime.

Won't happen. I would bet there will be a software "patch" that will
erase the different testing maps, the cars will then meet the original
EPA standards BUT they won't be getting the high mpg numbers that owners
bragged about.

The folks who did modifications will likely refuse to bring their cars
in and the EPA will just issue a VIN list saying these cars are no
longer legal for road use in the US, registrations and insurance would
be revoked.

VW might just decide to leave the market in the US.

It has been reported that less than one in twenty-two
problem cars were actually sold in the U.S.