Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin[_4_] John Larkin[_4_] is offline

Default Tantalum Capacitors

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:15:59 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 09/23/2015 10:24 AM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:01:26 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

On 23/09/2015 5:34 AM, bitrex wrote:
So I'm working on repairing a Korg MS2000B synthesizer for a friend with
a dead power supply. Here's the service manual:

http://www.loscha.com/scans/Korg_MS2...ice_Manual.pdf

The first thing I notice when looking inside is that the small SMT 100uF
10V tantalum capacitor C109 has completely vacated - it appears to be
gone, blown right off the board. There are some little fragments
rattling around in the case.

I have little experience with tantalum capacitors. Any suggestions for
a more reliable replacement?

**Tants are not unreliable. In fact, IME, they're more reliable than
aluminium electros (not a scientific study though - just seat of the
pants). They do not tolerate reverse Voltages particularly well though.

Use another tantalum. Solid are best, but hard to find.

Most tantalum caps are solids, with the MnO2 electrolyte. Less common
are liquid types and polymers.

Wet tants are super-expensive. ISTR they're basically military-only.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Pretty much. We used to use them in mil systems. The cases were
silver, back when silver wasn't too expensive. The electrolyte is
acid, which eventually eats its way out. I think the cases may be
tantalum now.

CSR13 part numbers, something like that. A few bucks each, about the
price of a low-end steak dinner then.