Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's being tested?

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 3:15:57 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:
Winston_Smith wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:00:58 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

I would bet there will be a software "patch" that will
erase the different testing maps, the cars will then meet the original
EPA standards

I think the point is that the cars can only either meet the emissions
standards with reduced drivability, or, with the addition of a urea
system.

Either will be expensive.

The cars can meet the standards as built. The only real change would be
that the mpg numbers will fall to the original EPA numbers. The only
other thing will be an increase in the amount of times the systems burn
the residuals in the trap.

--
Steve W.

IDK what you're basing that on, as we don't know very much
at this point. It's not clear that MPG is the only thing
that will be affected. For example, IDK how the overall
system is designed and it would seem possible that maybe
other parts of the system can't endure the constant operation?
That would be worse case. Even if it's MPG only, they are
still going to be in big trouble if the cars don't meet
the advertised MPG. That would likely require some refund
payments to the owners in addition to fines, possible criminal
proceedings, etc.