Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Help a Mormon Ice maker fix

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:50:09 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Years ago, I worked on an ice maker, the fill tube kept
clogging with ice. The problem turned out to be that the
solenoid valve was leaking, and a trickle of water kept
coming in to the fill tube. The one time temp patch was
to thaw the tube. The long term solution was to replace
the water valve.

You are correct. That is not something shown in the owner's manual for
troubleshooting the cause of an ice maker not making ice. It's
something you learn by researching "other causes". When the valve
doesn't close, due to minerals (mechanical) but the valve test good
(electrically), the long term effect is the water chute freezes and
builds up ice over time (think of a ice glacier slowly growing) the
chute becomes solid ice.

In my case, the chute was not "solid", there was a bit of ice where
the water line attacked to the chute, enough to prevent water from
filling the ice maker. Thawing it worked, even taking it out to wash
at the sink and placing it back in.

I know Don is smart. I did tell him in my reply to him that I raised
the temp in the freezer back to (more research) 0°F (I had previously
set it below 0°F for some odd reason). Manufacturers have even
redesigned the water chute over the years trying to prevent freezing
(research).

If my temp "patch" fix works, it isn't temporary I've known a lot
of "educated idiots" over time. I most often go back to where a
problem started (changing freezer temp).

(If a prisoner cuts through a wire fence and escapes, you modify wire
cutters so the handles break )