Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Tantalum Capacitors

On 23/09/2015 5:34 AM, bitrex wrote:
So I'm working on repairing a Korg MS2000B synthesizer for a friend with
a dead power supply. Here's the service manual:

http://www.loscha.com/scans/Korg_MS2...ice_Manual.pdf

The first thing I notice when looking inside is that the small SMT 100uF
10V tantalum capacitor C109 has completely vacated - it appears to be
gone, blown right off the board. There are some little fragments
rattling around in the case.

I have little experience with tantalum capacitors. Any suggestions for
a more reliable replacement?

**Tants are not unreliable. In fact, IME, they're more reliable than
aluminium electros (not a scientific study though - just seat of the
pants). They do not tolerate reverse Voltages particularly well though.

Use another tantalum. Solid are best, but hard to find.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---