Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Possible reason the A-10 is being dropped

I suspect the U-2xx depleted heads of the cannon was part of it,
as after an engagement the heads had to be recovered. Nothing like
land mines sitting there for years and years. Remember they were
tank busters.

Martin

On 9/22/2015 7:23 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:54:53 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

This is an interesting article that may explain why the Air Force
decided to drop the A-10 Warthog:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t.../09/air-force-

fighters-will-carry-laser-cannons-cyber-weapons-by-2020/

To my knowledge, with few exceptions the air force -- even when it was
part of the army -- has had little enthusiasm for ground support.

Current doctrine is that the army gets to play with rotary wing craft but
doesn't get to fly fixed-wing. So, by that doctrine the Air Force gets
the A-10. But by their own leanings, they don't want to do what it does,
so they've been trying to rid themselves of it for years.

But -- I'm a life-long civilian, so what do I know?