Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help a Mormon Ice maker fix

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:11:25 -0500, Muggles wrote:

My ice maker something freezes up when it goes to eject the ice and one
tiny piece of an ice cube gets stuck in the corner. I just tap it and
it falls off and then it starts making ice again.

That is a common problem with Whirlpool style ice makers (several
brands use them)
The cube in the far right tray sticks in the comb. This is worse if
there is a gap between the comb and the frame. I glued a little piece
of plastic across that gap and it got a lot better. The other thing
that exacerbates it is cubes (half moons?) that are too small. You can
adjust the fill with that little screw next to the head. It is
backward. CCW increases the size. (as I recall)

I have 2 of these machines here and I maintain about 5 more between
the neighbors and close by family. I stock the common parts.
The "head" fixes most mystery issues once you figure out it has power,
the photo eye is working (bucket on the door models) and the water is
flowing right.
That is the brown doo dad on the end, held on with 3 screws. You get
the motor, the timer and the lockout cam mechanism. It is the FRU.
(smallest part you can order in that assembly).
I also stock a complete ice maker. I will swap it out and fix the bad
one in my "beer fridge" if it is a neighbor.