Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

Electric Comet wrote in
:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 23:54:57 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

Electric Comet wrote in
:

i heard that nuclear power plants are so expensive to build and
maintain and dispose of and decommission that we could create at
least as much and possibly more energy by burning all the urban
tree trimmings to boil water

i see in a quick search there is a plant in florida

Unfortunately not. Here in Broward (Florida) we incinerate a

not sure what you meant but i found this
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...turns-garbage-
into-gas/

maybe the unfortunately not was referring to something else
or is the plant in the link above no longer operational

I think I didn't trim correctly when I quoted you, I should
have removed that last line.

In any event, the plant referenced in that article was
never built. I'm not aware of any plasma facility in
Florida. There are a number of incinerators, and also a
number of methane-extraction plants at various landfills.

also incineration is messy and not as efficient as plasma

That depends on your definition of "efficient". Plasma doesn't
appear to be cost-effective because of the high startup costs,
and I doubt it's as energy efficient as incineration because
of the energy cost of generating the plasma. It is more
efficient at converting the input into simple molecules (i.e.
not "messy"). I'd think plasma's future is in hazardous waste
treatment, more so than general power production.

John