Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default VW automatic parking brake. etc

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
But a proper auto won't roll back on a hill anyway.
Sadly many autos do. Honda Jazz and Big Toyota people carriers in my
recent experience. I find torque converter autos best for not rolling on
hills.

I find a handbrake an even better way of not rolling: I've thirty years of
using that method in a manual car so it's instinctively the way I'd do it in
an auto, even if it did have transmission that made it less likely to
happen.

Going into park makes a very nasty lurch if you happen to be rolling very
slightly and haven't come to a complete stop.

By the way (digressing slightly) what would you say needed adjusting on a
brand new (manual) car if the car rolls an inch or so and then comes to an
abrupt stop when you come to rest with the footbrake, fully apply the
handbrake and then release the footbrake? Eg when stopping at traffic lights
on an up/down gradient, with the car either in gear and the clutch down or
else in neutral. Until I can get round to taking the car into the garage to
get it looked at, I've learned to release the footbrake slowly so the roll
and sudden stop are more gradual.