Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Help a Mormon Ice maker fix

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:46:54 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 9/21/2015 10:27 AM, Oren wrote:
Ice maker was not filling with water, so no cubes.
- unplugged the fridge for a few minutes, trying to reset
- did a reset for the ice maker by holding the on button down for 15
seconds after plugged in again
- ice maker made cycles as to empty ice
- checked for air in lines by taking water from the door dispenser
- ensured filter was seated and good
- continuity of water fill valve(S) solenoids (3) - good
- unplugged ice maker inside, removed it
- hair dryer to water fill chute, found ice - thawed

So, this is *in* the freezer compartment (as part of the ice maker)
and, thus, normally exposed to the cold temperatures. But, shouldn't
it normally be empty (of water)? I.e., it's "downhill" from the water
supply line which is no longer under pressure when the solenoid is
off; one would assume it would "drip empty".

I.e., what's to prevent this from happening, again? Do you think
ice wasn't being *made* often enough for room temperature water to
dissolve any droplets of ice that had formed in the chute? Or,
that the chute isn't as "slick" as it should be and surface tension
is keeping "that last drop" of water in/on the chute where it will
freeze and, over time, grow from the *next* "last drop" that gets added
in a followup cycle?

- pulled the chute from rear of fridge and washed, placed back in
- filled ice maker by adding water (poured in)
- set to temp back to 0°F form -1°F
- waited -- ice dumped
- checked ~ 48 hours later -- making ice
- told wife how great I am

and she's *still* laughing about that!

- had an adult beverage
- saved $2 instead of buying ice

Fix your own ice maker. My methods worked. She has ice!