Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Dry time for coats of spray paint

gary wrote:
I just bought a new, outside rearview mirror for my car but I need to
spray-paint the mirror before I bolt it to the car door.

The directions on the spray cans of Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint say
to allow "sufficient" time for the paint to dry between coats.

How many minutes/hours of dry-time should I allow between:

* each coat of Scratch Filler Primer

* the last coat of the primer and the first coat of the color paint

* each coat of the color paint

* the last coat of the color coat and the first coat of the clear coat

* each coat of the clear coat

* the last coat of the clear coat and installation.

Thanks,

If your doing any sanding, must be pretty dry. As far as paint, it's good
to not let paint dry too much between coats. I usually use a Hair dryer fo
small projects to speed up. It's not good to spray clear over dried paint.
I've sanded and buffed lacquer, but never used clear lacquer. I've mostly
used enamels.

Greg