Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bike Rider Bike Rider is offline

Default Etymological question -- "waller" a hole

replying to Tim Wescott , Bike Rider wrote:
tim wrote:

The sons of the family mechanic talked about "wallering a hole", in the
sense of "to wear and enlarge in an uncontrolled manner" ("the bolt was
loose and wallered out the hole, now it don't fit"), or (with contempt
for shade-tree mechanics) "to intentionally enlarge a hole in an
uncontrolled manner" ("that deleted just wallered out those holes
instead of using a drill bit of the proper size, now nuthin' fits right").
Has anyone else seen this? I'm curious if it was a family invention or
if it's a word of real usage.
--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I grew up in Northern Illinois and have lived in various northern places
in the US. We always used the term, wallered, to talk about what happen
when you have enlarged a hole, like for a bold that uses an allen wrench,
that has become worn with usage and the allen wrench slips. Same thing for
Phillips head screw and to a lesser extent, slot head screws.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...le-592425-.htm