Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] KLayton888@aol.com is offline

Default refrigerator circuit board repair for GE

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 1:55:42 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Years ago, GE started providing circuit board
with some refrigerators. And they had a lot of
bad ones. Some just had a burnt or cold solder
joint. I've given a couple to a computer repair
man I know, who has reworked the solder joints
for me. And a couple came back to life.

Does anyone out there know of a board repair
service, or do we just pitch em out and sell
the customer new ones?

--
.
Christopher A. Young

Try posting on the sci.electronics.repair newsgroup. Somebody there ought to be able to point you to some board repair folks.

I normally do pinball machine circuit board repairs on machines that are 20 to 35 years old. Also, I have repaired circuit boards in other equipment in the past such as these:

Manitowac commercial ice machine (in a theater). It had a bad soldered-in relay on the circuit board. Replaced it with a relay socket and plug-in relay. Machine repaired and operated correctly.

Hamilton Beach commercial drink mixer. It had a bad speed control pot. Manufacturer wanted $50 plus shipping for it. They also said it would be a week before they shipped it out. So I went to Radio Shack and bought an almost exact replacement for $3 and installed it. Machine is still working today on that pot.

Modern residential refrigerator (brand name escapes me). Had several blown electrolytic capacitors on the control board. Replacing them brought this refrigerator back to life.

Hot tub (brand name also escapes me. Had 4 blown electrolytic capacitors on control board. Replacing them also brought this machine back to life.

It's worth it to at least give it a try repairing those boards yourself. Hopefully you have a decent capacitor ESR meter to find bad electrolytic capacitors. Mine paid for itself the first week.