Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default refrigerator circuit board repair for GE

On 9/19/2015 4:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/19/2015 5:31 PM, Don Y wrote:

Cold solder joints can easily be reworked. Just
reflow each joint on the board. Most boards are
single sided.

Does anyone out there know of a board repair
service, or do we just pitch em out and sell
the customer new ones?

Rule of thumb is discard if $100. I'll do
labor intensive repairs for friends/colleagues/myself.
But, if it's going to be billable hours, I just tell them
to replace.

I've done board soldering when I was a teen.
The one I took out today looks realy cold.
Plan is to get to a friend of mine who's a
computer repair guy.

Board retails for $175. I hate to just pitch
em out.

Understood. I have thru-hole and SMT equipment so can
tackle most "problems" that I am faced with. But, it's
usually not practical if you are a business placing real
values on your labor costs, etc. Esp if you have to provide
a warranty: how do you know that something else in the
device won't toast your repairs, leaving you to "pay
for" them *twice*?

I'll "re-cap" a motherboard that is known to be a likely
candidate for that *before* the caps start to fail (once
they do, there are no guarantees that the components on the
board haven't already been exposed to stressful voltages
from the increased ripple on those supplies). Likewise,
most power supplies, TV's, etc.

Aside from "favors", it also lets me keep current with
manufacturing trends and failure modes -- learn from
OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes!

(I also learn which vendors to avoid! : )