Posted to alt.home.repair

Default refrigerator circuit board repair for GE

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 4:46:06 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:55:44 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Does anyone out there know of a board repair
service, or do we just pitch em out and sell
the customer new ones?

Some shops suffered from the Tsunami in foreign lands (Japan).
Supplies are / can be hard to find. Did the board take a hit from an
electrical surge? If you replace the board yourself, do you get a
warranty? I'm still chasing down an ice maker issue. The wife is
driving me bonkers Who repairs the boards, now days?

I repaired a lot of boards when I was still workng. If it was something simple like a cold solder joint, blown MOV and pico fuse or an easily replaced through the hole component like a resistor or electrolytic capacitor it was economical to repair. If it was a surface mounted chip, I don't have the proper tools to do a good job replacing that type of component. Some control boards have a core value but I haven't come across one in a while where I gave the defective circuit board to the supply house when I picked up a replacement. There are a lot of aftermarket control boards for home appliances especially control boards for HVAC units that are so much cheaper than OEM circuit boards. It's no longer economical to spend the time to repair certain OEM circuit boards. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Circuit Monster