Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default refrigerator circuit board repair for GE

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/19/2015 5:31 PM, Don Y wrote:

Cold solder joints can easily be reworked. Just
reflow each joint on the board. Most boards are
single sided.

Does anyone out there know of a board repair
service, or do we just pitch em out and sell
the customer new ones?

Rule of thumb is discard if $100. I'll do
labor intensive repairs for friends/colleagues/myself.
But, if it's going to be billable hours, I just tell them
to replace.

I've done board soldering when I was a teen.
The one I took out today looks realy cold.
Plan is to get to a friend of mine who's a
computer repair guy.

Board retails for $175. I hate to just pitch
em out.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

First thing to check is discrete component like capacitors,
pico fuses on the board, any power supply related stuffs.
And visual inspection; burnt sign, smell, cold solder, etc.
If ASIC or microprocessor is involved, time to give up.