Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Cedar Chest

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 9:43:17 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
http://imgur.com/a/xBqX0

I got a chest from a friend who was moving. It was all nailed and
screwed together. They were covered mostly by other boards on the
corners nailed on.
So he drops it off figuring I can use the wood as he doesn't want to
take it.
It was cracked in multiple areas.

I tore it apart 2 or 3 years ago and it's been sitting in the shop.

My son needed a coffee table, and since his apartment is really small, I
figured a cedar chest would serve double purpose.
But since he drinks like a fish (out of college a year and still drinks
like he is in college) I needed to make sure that a spilled drink didn't
run into the chest or ruin the finish. Most of you know my love for
shellac. So I shellaced it, but had to protect the shellac. I coated it
with lacquer as a final 2 coats. Am just waiting for it to harden up to
rub it out. I haven't used lacquer in a long time, and I'm loving the
choice over poly. It just looks better, dries quickly, and I know it
will rub out easily and look great.

There is a groove routed with a core box bit around the bottom edge, so
if the drink spills it won't follow the top around and go into the
chest. I thought that was a cool idea.

The wood was not a very nice cedar. I think it was Spanish. I had to add
my own cedar for the skirt as the old one was not very nice, and had
many screw holes filled with putty on top of the screws. My own cedar is
eastern red. So it was not a great match. A little bright red dye in the
shellac helped bring the Spanish cedar closer. Not exact, not perfect,
but it helped to soften the difference.
Also waiting on rockler for some chest hinges (torsion type).
I don't think they will be here on time, as I am going to visit him this
Saturday for a lobster fest,... a neat day where the lobster is huge,
the corn is great, and lots of beer and wine flow.

So I'm torn between keeping it a few more weeks, or bringing it up now.

Anyway, hand cut dovetails, pinned maple using walnut pegs (made using
a home made dowel plate).

--
Jeff

That's beautiful. Great work!