Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Close captioning over HDMI

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 1:10:40 AM UTC-5, Ron D. wrote:
From what I have been reading HDMI has no "caption Data" which can be turned on/off. It has to be integrated into the HDMI video permanently.

Then it is a deficiency in the DVR. Where else could it be ?

Onl other thing I can say is go in those DVR menus and look or recording options and maybe they have wher you shut of CC to enable some "cool" feature you never use.

Also go to the website, they all have a website. Put in the model number WITHOUT the brand name first. Put in the search string "firmware". (without quotes) Notice if other brands come up, from one of them you might get firmware.

We could all be wrong here, isn't this format supposed to be the hifi of TV ? Maybe it is like me getting rid of all Windows sounds so I can be onlone and listen to music. i really do not know.

It used to be in the vertical interval in NTSC, which is what composite is. If HDTVs cannot reproduce CC in the highest mode they can otherwise handle, they are in violation of a federal mandate. They deaf community will have their head, and you know what ? Alot of people watch TV with it muted and the CC on even though they can hear. I do hen I watch, my Mother is hard of hearing but the TV has a decent set of speakers on it and she had hearing aids, but we have come to the conclusion that not having these hucksters in our ears is actually better than trying to hear dialog in whispers among all kinds of background street sound going through an echo chamber and overloading the whole story. And I have tried switching it to mono. Sometimes it works, but not all.