Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Amana Washer NFW7300WW00 Trips Breaker

On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 9:08:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 5:27:02 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 3:55:51 PM UTC-4, Phill B wrote:
GFI Trips

So, Mark was right, it's not the circuit breaker as you initially
reported.

The Washer turns on, lets you choose choices
But as soon as the motor is to turn
Boom
Should I be getting more than a few ohms off the motor
I think this is a 110 motor, not 12 volt
If it was, I'd connect it to a var battery

Motor windings are low resistance normally. Are you sure everything
is dried out? How long has this been? Could be something is still
wet, I'd leave it well ventilated for a few days or maybe put a
fan on it. Could also disconnect the motor, and try it then, if
it still trips, then it's not the motor. The motor is 120V, unless
it's some new fancy, super energy efficient washer, that might have
some ECM type motor.

Yes,
if it is a GFI tripping, it is likely due to water got someplace it isn't supposed to be.

And this can create a path for electricity from the wires to the case of the washer.

And the GFI senses that unwanted path and shuts off the power.

So as Trader said, step one is to dry everything out really well for a few days with heat and air and with the power removed...., then try it again.

Mark

BTW, that was a nice catch, the GFCI thing. When he said circuit breaker,
I think the rest of us never thought it really was a GFCI.